Saturday, September 5, 2009

English 101

Currently, I'm working through the sequel to BIS. It's times like this, when I wish I hadn't bagged so many English classes to go play pool. I'd like to go back in time and smack that arrogant teenager. LOL

When I have to teach myself proper English, I decided I'd post about it. Therefore, it will be easier to find next time, *G* and perhaps save someone else the headache. My current dilemma is Than vs Then and this is what I found...

Than is a conjunction used in comparisons:

Tom is smarter than Bill.

This is more important than you might think.

Is she taller than you?

Yes, she is taller than I.

Technically, you should use the subject pronoun after than (e.g., I), as opposed to the object pronoun (me). However, English speakers commonly use the object pronoun.


Then has numerous meanings.

1. At that point in time

I wasn't ready then.

Will you be home at noon? I'll call you then.

2. Next, afterward

I went to the store, and then to the bank

Do your homework and then go to bed

3. In addition, also, on top of that

He told me he was leaving, and then that I owed him money

It cost $5,000, and then there's tax too

4. In that case, therefore (often with "if")

If you want to go, then you'll have to finish your homework.

I'm hungry!
Then you should eat.


The Bottom Line

Than is used only in comparisons, so if you're comparing something use than. If not, then you have to use then.

Back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background