Thursday, February 11, 2010

Welcome To Day 4 of the Seven Days of Valentines...

What do you like to indulge in?

I have four treats I’m passionate about. Romance novels, good chocolate, wine and yarn. It is possible to indulge in all four simultaneously, but that kind of idyllic situation is best saved for when the hubby and kids are distracted else ware. LOL

Today, I though I would focus on 2 of my favourites. Wine and Chocolate. What better Valentine treat for after the kids are in bed, or you finally get a quiet moment with your special someone?

There are a couple guidelines (not rules) to keep in mind when approaching this kind of wine matching.
* Make certain your wine is as sweet or sweeter then the chocolate (or dessert) you are paring it with.
* Match lighter wines with lighter chocolates and fuller bodied wines with darker chocolates
*Most importantly is to enjoy responsibly! Please do not drive anywhere after indulging.

Take a sip of the wine and think about what flavours it reminds you of. Next place a small piece of chocolate on your tongue and hold it there until it begins to melt, then sip the wine again and allow it to mix with the chocolate. Don’t be afraid to experiment. We all have different tastes and what one person enjoys might not be the same as someone else.

One of the difficult parts of writing Bach in Believing Is Trusting, is I habitually plugged in way to much technical wine information. I edited out paragraph after paragraph because it read like one of my wine classes and not a romance. LOL (I guess that’s what happens when you have Bacchus whispering in your ear.)

What do you consider an indulgence? Do you have a favourite wine/food match?
I’d love to hear about it!

Everyone who shares a suggestion either here or on the SirenReaders yahoo group will be placed in a draw for a bag of goodies. (chocolate, candles, a naughty lip gloss and wine gums.) I also have a small Wine Tasters Diary in there. Perfect for keeping track of the wines you like. Be sure to check out the fun going on in the groups this week. Lots of prizes still to be given out.



**Note: chocolate doesn't appear in picture because I am weak. I promise a bar of Lindor Chili/Cherry Chocolate will be in package.

6 comments:

  1. our discovery this past holiday season is red rose wine. It is a sweeter wine and not only did I enjoy it I believe all of hubbys family enjoyed it too( if giggling in the corner was a sign). It really pairs up well with lemon pepper chicken. course I love chicken so it could be that too lol cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry forgot

    --------meandi09@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I hear you on the weakness for chocolate. It is always in our house but I try to keep it out of sight... you know... outta mind.

    My favorite pairing involved chocolate but not wine: Beer and chocolate go surprisingly well together. My personal combination is usually Green Light and a brownie... :) Don't knock it 'til you try it.

    Miranda @ Sweet Vernal Zepyr .blogspot

    mdwartistry at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good combination Meandi. Was it a California rose? Elevated giggling is always a positive sign that the vino was enjoyed ;-)

    Beer and a brownie? That's interesting and I will give it a try, love expreimenting. I'll have to look up Green Light and see what kind of beer it is. My mum has been known to have a beer and chocolate chip cookies. I'll have to stop teasing her about that now.

    We have a double chocolate stout up here that is amazing if you pour some in a thick beef stew while it's cooking. mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll credit you with one half of my fave combination. Elysium wine and a Bissinger dark chocolate truffle. It doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((BIG HUGS FOR PAXA))) Lady, I so owe you a 14 page email to catch up on everything. haven't seen Elysium up here in ages, but I always think of you when it comes up.

    ReplyDelete

Background